About Me

My photo
Bold & beautiful proud African Woman. Living passionately,indulging selflessly and loving deeply.

Friday, March 1, 2013

My 50 shades of 2012

Oh how I wish I could borrow a few words of E.L. James’ publications of the 50 shades trilogy, as a title for my account of 2012. The challenge is that I have to struggle to detach myself from the eroticism that forms the story line of this collection; a global controversy on the explicit depiction of BDSM that will continue even in 2013.

The attractive coining of “50 shades” presents various opportunities for one to write about just anything. So while my profession requires that I keep abreast with local and international trends, my outlook of 2012 confirms to me that we may be scattered around the globe but what brings us together is a collective appreciation of those aspects that resonate with our social settings: our belief in God, cultural disciplines, the value of friends, loved ones and family, the love of nature, music, fashion and lifestyle.

My spotlight award for 2012 goes to the Mayans for pulling off the world’s biggest prank about the World ending on 21st December and PSY for promoting Korean lavish style in his popular single Gagman style which now has over one billion views on You Tube. My golden spotlight award will go to Steven Kiprotich for winning Gold at the 2012 London Olympics.

This brings me back to the place I call home; the land where I earn my bread. My destiny may not be tied to this land but my birthright is. However, the events that have played out over the last 12 months stretch my mind to imaginable levels of discomfort!! I cannot comprehend why a land so naturally gifted by nature, has to be defiled by its inhabitants: the people supposed to protect it. A famous writer once said, "It is hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price of being wrong." I will brand Uganda as the protest capital of the region; it doesn’t matter if we have been referred to as a top tourist destination for 2012. Uganda now has regional influence (EAC,COMESA & ICGLR) of over 23 countries with a population of over 540million people and yet the events that have played out over the last 12 months have brewed a cocktail that’s nothing diplomatic. It’s even sadder that the close of 2012 threw us a Molotov cocktail!!!

Back to all things musical, the song that brought me to my knees was Israel Houghton’s hit, “Jesus at the Centre of it all. Followed by “We are young” and “Diamonds in the sky” by Fun and Rihanna respectively. I choose to celebrate Whitney Houston by listening to “One Moment in time”. May her Soul Rest in Peace. I’m still convinced that Tyler Perry is such a looker but I’m so attracted to Javier Bardem’s edginess in Sky Fall.

My most DEHUMANISING act of 2012 will be when URA forcefully deducted funds from my bank account. Uganda Revenue Authority has a policy that all taxes should be filed and paid by every 15th of the month. If you run a business in this town, you will know that sometimes payments do not come in on time. URA called me to inform me of this pending liability. I informed them that the payments had not come through and as soon as they did, I would pay the tax. Three days later, I was served with a Third party agency notice that the tax was deducted from the account. It is then that I was reminded that in life, the two things that are certain are death and taxes.

Nature has been my greatest companion this year. Not only does it remind me of God’s greatness, it is the one thing I return to calm my soul. In one of his many quotes, Nelson Mandela says,” There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find ways in which you yourself have altered.” I’m grateful for all the breathtaking sunsets and moments spent at Cassia lodge watching the lights come out over Kampala. I got an upgrade recently while on a cruise to Kyaggwe. Who ever imagined that an island in Mukono would hold such dear memories for me?

I have generally had a good year. I have laughed, I have cried. I have endured long periods of stress but I discovered that humans too have an auto mode. I have smiled at babies, said farewell to dear ones, exchanged hugs and had insomnia that forced me off my bed for 3 months. I have been robbed from but I have also been gifted. I changed my hairstyle!!! I have put on weight and added an extra bra size. Then I got stressed because I had outgrown my wardrobe. I still have not learnt how to swim!!! I have read more, watched a little more TV ,think Frank Walusimbi is such a good newscaster and Nicholas Opio a great analyst.

Most importantly, I have been loved in a more unusual way. Love opened my heart and birthed something new. I sailed to California and camped there.... because life is a journey and YOLO. Happy 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment